Hull Geological Society
Data Protection Procedure:
This is a draft to fulfil our obligations under the General Data Protection Regulations 2018 that will be considered by the Committee.
HGS Data use
The Hull Geological Society holds the following data about members –
· Postal address
· E-mail address (if provided)
· Telephone number (if provided)
· Type of membership
· Subscriptions and donations
· Date of joining
· Gift aid declarations
· Additional personal information of the Officers (e.g. date of birth)
The Society does not store information about non-members. Enquiries about the Society from non-members may be kept for a short while by the Secretary but not shared with any other member or officer with the permission of the enquirer.
Personal details of “friends of the Society” (e.g. people with similar research interests or corresponding Societies) will not be shared without their consent unless their contact are in the public domain.
Storage - The member’s data is held on computer and paper files by the Secretary and Treasurer. It might be transmitted by e-mail between those officers. It might be shared with the President or Vice President. The Society does not keep members’ bank details (apart from those who pay by regular bank transfers or standing order); though the Secretary and Treasurer will be able to see the details on cheques until they are presented to the Society’s bank.
· The Officers of the Society are the Trustees of the Charity – their personal data will be shared with the Charity Commission and it may be published
· The personal contact details of Committee members will be shared with other Committee members.
· The addresses and contact details of members will not be intentionally shared with other members or third parties. Members wishing to contact other members may ask the Secretary to forward correspondence.
· The names and town of residence of prospective members will be read to a General Meeting before they are elected and may be announced in a newsletter (unless they specifically request otherwise)
· The names of the committee members, editors and officers will be published.
· The data relating to Gift Aid will be shared with the Inland Revenue when we claim the gift aid.
· The name and address of members is used to post the AGM agenda, Summer Programme and Winter Programme
· The email address is used to send an e-mail newsletter, Society Notices or information that the Officers think will be of interest to members.
· The e-mail addresses and postal addresses of “friends of the Society” and Corresponding Societies may be used to send Programmes and Newsletters.
· The telephone number may be used to contact members if the details of a meeting have changed.
· The names and town of members may be published in the Society’s journal as part of a membership list. This membership list may be shared with the University of Hull Library for access to the library.
· Historical records may be used to compile tributes ( e.g. to medallists or retiring officers) or obituaries
· Historical records may be published (such as date of joining); we will not intentionally publish the full current personal contact details.
· Committee members will be able to contact each other for the purpose of discussing Committee items and arranging events
Special use of personal data
· Some events require members and guests to book – the personal information provided will be shared with the member(s) organising the event and may be used to notify the people who have booked if there are changes to the event or it is cancelled.
Deletion of personal data –
· The personal data held by the Society will be deleted when the member resigns if requested.
· If a member requests we will delete their personal data, but that will mean that we cannot keep the member informed of Society activities.
· Personal details of “friends of the Society” will be deleted upon request
Copyright - Hull Geological Society 2018
Registered Educational Charity No. 229147