J W Stather, Tom Sheppard and the East Riding Boulder Committee
by Mike Horne FGS
references and further reading -
anon [probably J W Stather] 1919. Jubilee Commemoration of the United Methodist Church, Stepney, Hull 1869-1919.
anon [viewed 6/10/2007] A History of Kingston on Hull from Bulmer's Gazetteer (1892) <http://w.w.wgenuki.org.uk/big/eng/YHS/ERY/Hull/HullHistory/HullHistory8.html>
anon 1938. Death of a Hull Geologist. Hull Daily Mail Thursday 14th April 1938, p12.
anon 1938. Funeral of Hull Geologist. Hull Daily Mail Saturday 16th April 1938, p5.
anon 1938. Hull Geological Society - Annual Award of medal suggested. Hull Daily Mail Friday November 18th 1938, p5.
anon. 1939. Jubilee of the Hull Geological Society. Naturalist. 75-76.
anon 1941. Museum Director resigns. Hull Daily Mail Tuesday 30th September 1941, p5.
anon 1945. Death of Mr Thomas Sheppard. Hull Daily Mail Monday 19th February 1945, p2.
anon 1945. Funeral of Mr T Sheppard. Hull Daily Mail Thursday 22nd February 1945, p4.
anon 1998. Avenues and Pearson Park Residents' Association Newsletter. Issue 2.
Berry A 1986. The Hull Geological Society Medal 1938. Humberside Geologist 5, 7-10.
Boyle, John Roberts, 1889. The Lost Towns of the Humber. Hull : Brown.
Charlesworth A C 1939. In Memoriam John Walker Stather 1857-1938. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society. 23, 317-318.
Cole, Edward Maule 1883. Geological rambles in Yorkshire : Leeds to Scarbro', Filey, Whitby and Bridlington : a popular handbook on Magnesian Limestone, New Red Sandstone, Lias, Lower, Middle and Upper Oolite, corals, Speeton Clay, chalk, flints, the Great Ice Age, etc. London : Simpkin, Marshall & Co.
Crofts W H 1901. Sections: Alexadra Docks, Hull. Transactions of the Hull Geological Society 5, 57-61, pl 3 (similar article in Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society.)
Fry J B 1945. Personal Items - Obituaries - Mr Thomas Sheppard. Museums' Journal 45, p11-12.
Harmer F W 1928. The distribution of erratics and drift [with contoured map] Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society. 21, 80-150. [Published posthumously with an introduction by P F Kendall].
Horne, Mike 1986. Past Officers of the Hull Geological Society, 1888 -1985. Humberside Geologist 5, 29-30.
- 1986. Tom Sheppard "Hyper-Scientist". Humberside Geologist 5, 5-6.
- 1989. The History of the Hull Geological Society. Humberside Geologist 7. 40pp.
- 1999. Another letter from Mary Sheppard. Humberside Geologist 12 ,11.
- 2004. The distribution of glacial erratics on the Holderness Coast. [abstract] Yorkshire Geological Society Circular no 519, 6.
Lowe E E 1945. Personal Items - Obituaries - Mr Thomas Sheppard. Museums' Journal 45, p11.
Melmore S 1946. Obituary Thomas Sheppard (1876-1945). North Western Naturalist 20, 75-
Motimer J R 1905. Forty years' researches in British and Saxon burial mounds of East Yorkshire. 452pp, 125 pl [edited by T Sheppard]
Oliver M (2004?). Reports of Hull Meetings: 15th June 2004 - "Anlaby Park" - Chris Mead. East Yorkshire Family History Society website < http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/eyfhs/hullmeet.htm > [viewed 21/6/2007]
Rayner D 1974. Introduction. Chapter 1, pp 1-12 of Rayner & Hemmingway (eds). The Geology and Mineral resources of Yorkshire. Yorkshire Geological Society. 405pp.
Schadla-Hall T 1989. Tom Sheppard. Hull's Great Collector. Highgate Publications Ltd., Beverley. 38pp.
Seaward, Mark. 2004. Sheppard Thomas (1876-1945), Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Oxford University Press < http://oxforddnb.com/view/article/57394 > [viewed 3/3/2005].
Sheppard M 1986. Extracts from a letter... October 1984. Humberside Geologist 5, 11.
Sheppard G 1913. The Chalk fossils in the Hull Museum. Trans HSFNC pp 251-7 + 2 pl. and reprinted in HMP 98. [Note - George was already an FGS].
Sheppard, Thomas 1895. [Boulders at] Burstwick. The Naturalist p343.
- 1904. Guide to the Municipal Museum, Royal Institutuion, Albion Street, Hull. 35pp + 4 page index. HMP 18.
- 1904.Geological discovery at Bridlington. pp 17-19. HMP 19. [Bridlington Crag]
- 1904. Remains of Lion in East Yorkshire. pp 26-7 HMP20. [The "Hornsea Lion" actually was found at Bielbeck].
- 1905. Guide to the Municipal Musem, Royal Institutuion, Albion Street, Hull. 2nd Edition. 40pp HMP 40.
- & J W Stather 1907. Note on a new exposure in the glacial drifts of Holderness. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society. 16, 171-6. [Kelsey Hill]
- 1910. Neolithic workshops near Bridlington. The Naturalist 293-8, reprinted in HMP74.
- 1910. The pre-historic boat from Brigg. HMP no 73.
- 1912. The Lost Towns of the Yorkshire coast, and other chapters bearing upon the geography of the district. London : Brown.
- 1913. Methods of collecting 11pp + plates in HMP no 101. Reprinted from "Museums' Journal".
- 1914. Bibliography of Yorkshire geology. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society 18, 629pp. [Also sold separately by Browns for 15/- ]
- 1915. Yorkshire's contribution to science. The Naturalist 17-25 + 71-77 + 109-114 + 131-139. [Presidential Address to the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union]
- 1916. Yorkshire's contribution to science: with a bibliography of Natural History publications. 240pp. A Brown and Sons, Hull and London [ price 5/- ]
- 1919. The Lost Towns of the Yorkshire Coast and the chapters bearing upon the geography of the district. Browns 328pp. [Price 7/6] Reprinted 1986 by Mr Pye Books, Howden.. 329pp.
- 1925. Evolution of the Drama in Hull and District. A Brown & Sons, Ltd, Hull. 254pp.
- 1931. Fact and fiction in geology Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society 22, 73-92. [Presidential Address 21st November 1931 at University College, Hull]
- 1938. In Memoriam J W Stather F G S. Naturalist 182-183.
- 1938. John Walker Stather. Proc. Geol. Soc. cxxxi
Sitch B J 1992. A critical assessment of Thomas Sheppard, Curator of Hull Museums (1901-1941) with particular reference to archaeologlical collecting. Unpublished M A Thesis, University of Leicester.
Stather J W 1901. Notes on East Yorkshire Boulders. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society 14, 237-44.
- 1906. Quartzite pebbles on the Yorkshire Wolds. Transactions of the Hull Geological Society 6, 38-40.
- 1906. The drift deposits of Kirmington and Great Limber, Lincolnshire. . Transactions of the Hull Geological Society 6, 28-32.
- 1910. The Bielsbeck fossiliferous beds. . Transactions of the Hull Geological Society 6, 103-9.
- 1912. Shelly clay dredged from the Dogger Bank. Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society 68, 324-7.
- 1922. On a peculiar displacement in the Millipore Oolite near South Cave. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society 19. 395-400
- 1928 Vertical distribution of East Yorkshire erratics. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society 21, 151-160. [Presidential Address 8th December 1928]
Versey H C 1945. In memoriam Thomas Sheppard 1876-1945. The Naturalist p 74-75.
W H W [W Foot Walker] 1949.Thomas Sheppard 1876-1945. The Transactions of the East Riding Antiquarian Society 28, 65-69.
Mike Horne, 2007
Copyright - Hull Geological Society 2020
Registered Educational Charity No. 229147
Copyright Hull Geological Society.